Central South University
3 + 2 B.S. + M.S. Program
About the program
This program allows the student to spend his or her senior year at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, earn a Bachelor of Science degree from Central South University (CSU), and then earn a Master of Science degree from the University of Illinois in one year. Students will spend three years at CSU and two years at Illinois to complete B.S. and M.S. degrees in five years.
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) offers M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering in Civil Engineering, and Environmental Science in Civil Engineering. Advanced degrees are also available in a variety of specialized areas, including Structural, Geotechnical, Environmental, Hydrosystems, Materials, Transportation and Construction Management. Students can also develop cross-disciplinary programs in consultation with their advisers.
The Civil and Environmental Engineering program allows students to take the non-thesis option and earn an M.S. degree in one year at Illinois. The non-thesis option (only coursework) requires 36 hours of course credit. Each full advanced level course is equivalent to 4 hours of course credit, therefore students who complete 9 full courses will achieve 36 hours of course credit.
Advantages of the Program
- Earn degrees from two prestigious universities
- Learn from and interact with world-class faculty
- Use state-of-the-art research and teaching facilities
- Select from a comprehensive list of courses
- Explore specialty areas within Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Collaborate with top students around the world
- Prepare for a successful career with an integrated B.S.+.M.S. program
Who is eligible?
How to apply?
Interested students should email their home university contact for application instructions to be selected. Selected students must then apply online by February 15 using the standard procedures through the Illinois online system.
- Follow the instructions for an international applicant
- Choose the program: "Civil Engineering-MS"
- Enter "CSU 3+2" in the field of "Other Specialization"
- Start the online application.
- Send Prof. Tutumluer (firstname.lastname@example.org) an email after you apply online.
There is no need to submit proof of funding documents during online application. If you are approved for admission, we will request that you send those documents.
Interested students should contact their home university contact for more details about the "3 + 2 B.S. + M.S. CSU/Illinois Program."
For further inquiries, please contact:
Professor Xuhui He, PhD
School of Civil Engineering
Central South University (CSU)
22 Shao-shan-nan road, Railway campus at CSU
Changsha, Hunan 410075, P.R.China
Phone: +86-731-8265-5177, Fax: +86-731-8557-1736
Professor Erol Tutumluer, Ph.D.
Director of International Programs
Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
1205 Newmark Civil Engineering Laboratory, MC 250
205 N. Mathews Ave.
Urbana, IL 61801
Phone: (217) 333-8637, Fax: (217) 333-9464